GWU’s Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) Department is searching for a full-time Laboratory Manager to join the ECE team.
The Laboratory Manager will be responsible for day to day and long term laboratory management. This position will report to the ECE Chair.
This position is located at the GWU Foggy Bottom campus. GW HR has established pay ranges within each position classification, which provide a
framework for determining the appropriate starting salary based on a number of legitimate factors depending on the position; these include relevant skill sets, work experience, and education. This provides a consistent methodology to determine an appropriate starting salary and remain competitive.
The ideal candidate has a working knowledge with Electrical and Computer Engineering laboratory instrumentation, and Digital Design, Circuit Theory, Control, and embedded systems. Ability to conduct simulation and analysis tools, such as NI Multisim, PSpice, etc. Posses knowledge of clean room requirements and ability to discuss with the clean room specialized technicians the needs of the ECE clean room laboratory.
- Tests, evaluates, updates and upgrades, maintains, and repairs electronic, electrical, computing and electromechanical equipment and/or devices used in the ECE Dept. labs using test equipment, diagnostic software and repair procedures. Schedules and performs inspections and calibrations, and recommends solutions regarding defective equipment and software including coordination with external repair or replacement vendors.
- Ensures smooth, continuous operation of the laboratory including supervision of the laboratory technicians. Establishes work shifts, maintains pay records and performance evaluations. Trains student technicians. Creates and delivers standard and online training programs for new graduate teaching assistants on the use the respective laboratory equipment.
- Oversees student technicians charged with the maintenance of stock levels of parts and components. Recommends alternatives to stock items. Seeks donations and/or gifts for lab-relevant items, and seeks competitive quotes. Supervises assembly of parts and components into kits for undergraduate classes.
- Coordinates with the faculty in teaching the laboratory component of ECEcourses and in evaluation of GTA performance and providing timely feedback. Engages in updating and development of lab modules. Helps and supports students in the design, fabrication and testing of their projects
- Maintains for ECE laboratory safety & general operating procedures & conditions. Helps establish practices and guidelines. Continuously monitors adherence to said guidelines & practices. Trains ECE laboratory staff, Graduate Teaching Assistants, and students in laboratory safety & other procedures and reporting any issues to course instructors & department chair. Responsible for maintaining the physical environment of the laboratory including interacting with GWU facilities & housekeeping groups. Proactively detects and responds to safety and issues in the laboratories. Helps to coordinate moving and reorganizing of lab equipment/space.
- Maintains adequate physical and digital records of inspections, repairs, calibrations, etc. Effectively processes all purchase, repair, and similar financial / inventory paperwork and long term records. Organizes and maintains a file of equipment manuals and similar documentation.
- Schedules and performs inspections and calibrations, and recommends solutions regarding defective equipment and software including coordination with external repair or replacement vendors.
- Coordinates with the faculty in teaching the laboratory component of ECEcourses.
- Assists students and faculty in carrying out experiments and tests in the laboratories.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
To apply for this position please visit the GW JOBS website.