Email: Howie Huang
Office Phone: 202-994-0523
SEH 6610 | Office hours: By appointment
Professor Howie Huang's research interests are in the general areas of computer and systems architecture, especially cloud computing, data-intensive computing, file and storage systems, energy-efficient computer systems, and high-performance computing and storage for scientific applications. His research has been supported by National Science Foundation, IBM, NVIDIA, and GWU Institute of Biomedical Engineering.
- Ph.D., University of Virginia, 2008
- Computer engineering
- Computer architecture
- High-performance computing
- Hang Liu, Howie Huang. Enterprise: Breadth-First Graph Traversal on GPUs. Proceedings of IEEE/ACM International Conference for High Performance Computing Networking, Storage, and Analysis (SC’15).
- Ron C. Chiang, Howie Huang, Timothy Wood, Changbin Liu, Oliver Spatscheck. IOrchestra: Supporting High-Performance Data-Intensive Applications in the Cloud via Collaborative Virtualization. Proceedings of IEEE/ACM International Conference for High Performance Computing Networking, Storage, and Analysis (SC’15).
- X. Xu, H. H. Huang. On Soft Error Reliability of Virtualization Infrastructure. IEEE Transactions on Computers. 2016.
- R. C. Chiang, S. Rajasekaran, N. Zhang, H. H. Huang. Swiper: Exploiting Virtual Machine Vulnerability in Third-Party Clouds with Competition for I/O Resources. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1732 - 1742, June 1 2015.
- Ron C. Chiang, Ahsen Uppal, H. Howie Huang, An Adaptive IO Prefetching Approach for Virtualized Data Centers, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing. August 2015.
- X. Xu, H. H. Huang. Exploring Data-Level Error Tolerance in High-Performance Solid-State Drives. IEEE Transactions on Reliability. vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 15 - 30, March 2015.
- Xin Xu, Ron Chiang, H. Howie Huang. Xentry: Hypervisor-Level Soft Error Detection. The 43rd International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP'14)
- Ron C. Chiang, Jinho Hwang, Howie Huang, Timothy Wood. Matrix: Achieving Predictable Virtual Machine Performance in the Clouds. USENIX International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC’14).
- Jinho Hwang, Ashen Uppal, Timothy Wood, Howie Huang. Mortar: Filling the Gaps in Data Center Memory. International Conference on Virtual Execution Environments (VEE’14)
- J. Chen, G. Venkataramani, H. H. Huang. RePRAM: Re-cycling PRAM Faulty Blocks for Extended Lifetime. Proceedings of the Dependable Computing and Communications Symposium at the International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN’12).
- A. Uppal, R. Chiang, H. H. Huang. Flashy Prefetching for High-Performance Flash Drives. Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Mass Storage Systems and Technologies (MSST’12).
- R. Chiang, H. H. Huang. TRACON: Interference-Aware Scheduling for Data- Intensive Applications in Virtualized Environments. Proceedings of IEEE/ACM International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC’11). Best Student Paper Award Nomination.
- H. H. Huang, N. Zhang, W. Wang, G. Das, A. Szalay. Just-In-Time Analytics on Large File Systems. Proceedings of the 9th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST’11), San Jose, California, February 15-17, 2011.
- Workshop Co-Chair, Cluster 2012
- PC Member, SC'12 Doctoral Showcase
- NSF CAREER Award 2014
- Comcast Technology Research and Development Fund Award 2015
- GWU School of Engineering and Applied Science Outstanding Young Researcher Award 2014
- NVIDIA Academic Partnership Award 2011
- IBM Real Time Innovation Award 2008
- ACM Best Undergraduate Student Research (advisor), SC’12
- Best Student Paper Award Nomination, SC’11
- Best Poster Award, PACT’11
- High Performance Storage Challenge Finalist, SC’09