- Assistant Research Professor
- SEH 5944
- [email protected]
Mario Miscuglio is a research assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the George Washington University. He is the sub-group leader of the Neuromorphic computing team of the OPEN Lab lead by Prof. Dr. Volker J. Sorger. He received his Masters’ in Electrical and Computer engineering from Polytechnic of Turin with highest honour, working as researcher at Harvard/MIT. He completed his PhD with excellence in Optoelectronics from University of Genova at the Italian Institute of Technology, working as research fellow at the Molecular Foundry in Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. His interests extend across science and engineering, including nano-optics and light-matter interactions, metasurfaces, Fourier optics, and photonic neuromorphic computing.
- Ph.D. Nanochemistry – Optoelectronics, University of Genoa – Italian Institute of Technology, 2018
- Master’s in Electric Engineering, Department of Applied Science and Technology, 2014
- Bachelor’s in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Department of Applied Science and Technology, 2011
- Light-matter Interaction
- Plasmonics 2Dimensional materials
- Neuromorphic Photonics
- M. Miscuglio, N. J Borys, D. Spirito, B. Martin-Garcia, R. P. Zaccaria, A. Weber-Bargioni, P J. Schuck, R. Krahne “Planar Aperiodic Arrays as Metasurfaces for Optical Near-Field Patterning” ACS NANO, 2019.
- M. Miscuglio, M. Lin, F. Di Stasio, Ping-Heng Tan and R. Krahne “Confined Acoustic Phonons in Colloidal Nanorod Heterostrucures Investigated by Non-resonant Raman Spectroscopy and Finite Elements Simulations” NANOLETTERS, 2016.
- M. Miscuglio, A. Mehrabian, Z. Hu, S. I. Azzam, J. K. George, A. V. Kildishev, M. Pelton, V. J. Sorger,"All-optical Nonlinear Activation Function for Photonic Neural Networks”, OPTICS MATERIALS EXPRESS 8(12), 3851-3863, 2018.
- ML Lin, M. Miscuglio, A Polovitsyn, Y Leng, B Martin-Garcia, I Moreels, Roman Krahne “Giant-Shell CdSe/CdS Nanocrystals: Exciton Coupling to Shell Phonons Investigated by Resonant Raman Spectroscopy” THE JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY LETTERS, 2019.
- M. Miscuglio, D Spirito, R Proietti Zaccaria, R Krahne “Shape Approaches for Enhancing Plasmon Propagation in Graphene” ACS PHOTONICS, 2016.
- F. De Nicola, N. Purayil, M. Miscuglio, D. Spirito, F. Tantussi, A. Tomadin, F. De Angelis, M. Polini, R. Krahne, and V. Pellegrini “Multiband Plasmonic Sierpinski Carpet Fractal Antennas” ACS PHOTONICS, 2018.
- R. Maiti, C. Patil, R. Hemnani, M. Miscuglio, R. Amin, Z. Ma, R. Chaudhary, C. Johnson, L. Bartels, R. Agarwal, V. J. Sorger, "Loss and Coupling Tuning via Heterogeneous Integration of MoS2 Layers in Silicon Photonics", OPTICS MATERIALS EXPRESS 8(12), 3851-3863, 2019.
Journal Reviewer: NPJ 2D Materials and Applications (Nature), Photonics and Nanostructures - Fundamentals and Applications (Elsevier), Journal of Light and Technology (OSA), Nanophotonics (De Gruyter)
He is a member of IEEE and OSA.
Award: Outstanding PhD dissertation award
- (102019000006204)“Planar Aperiodic Arrays as Metasurfaces for Optical Near-Field Patterning” – European Patent Pending
- (#16/507,854) “Optical Convolutional Neural Network Accelerator” – Provisional