What is computer engineering?
Computer engineering combines electronic design, computer architecture, programming of computing systems, computer networks, and applied mathematics. Computer engineers are involved in many hardware and software aspects of computing, from the design of individual microprocessors, personal computers, and supercomputers, to circuit design. This field of engineering not only focuses on how computer systems themselves work, but also how they integrate into the larger picture. Examples of concepts and applications that computer engineers deal with are:
- Embedded systems, such as MP3 and other digital audio players
- Computer vision with applications in digital photography, medical imaging, etc.
- Local area networks (LANs)
- Design microprocessors, such as Pentium
At GW, our computer engineering students may take electives in advanced topics, such as optical networks, broadband wireless networks, and technologies for the next generation of information systems. They also work on projects in modern, well-equipped VLSI and computer engineering laboratories. In the capstone design sequence, students design and fabricate a large-scale digital system based on their area of interest.
The computer engineering diploma offers highly lucrative career paths in semiconductor and software industries, at companies such as Intel, Qualcomm, Google, Microsoft, and Apple. Typical employment positions include hardware/design engineers, software developers, networking engineers, and hardware performance tuning experts. Approximately 20-30 percent of our graduates also continue their education in top graduate and doctorate programs in the country.
Bachelor of Science Degree Program
- Prospective and first-year students: Please visit the GW Bulletin to find the program requirements for your degree program
- All other current students: Please visit the curriculum sheets to find the program requirements for your degree program. Each student must follow the curriculum in place during his or her year of entry.
The computer engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.